Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Protein Pancake

Today I found out it's National Pancake Day! Apparently that means free pancakes at IHOP. All the IHOPs near me closed in the past year, though, so even if I wanted them I couldn't get them. So, instead, I'm bringing you the pancake recipe I've been using. Whole foods, high in protein, and it actually tastes decent.

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup instant oatmeal
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 cup 1% cottage cheese
  • 1.5 servings (3 floz) liquid egg product (Egg Beaters, or similar)
  • Nonstick spray
  • Sweeteners/Fillings (see below)
Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat, and lightly spray with nonstick spray. In a food processor, grind oats to a powder, and mix in baking powder and any other dry ingredients. Add cottage cheese and egg, and any other wet ingredients until evenly mixed. Then stir in any large, chunky ingredients.

Pour the batter into the pan, and cook like you would a normal pancake. I do find these to be a bit difficult to flip, so I'll typically cook the bottom on the stove, then put it under the broiler to finish.

Macros: 3.5g fat,  31.5g carbs (3g sugar, 4g fiber), 19.5g protein.

Sweeteners and Fillings (Optional)
You can get creative here, but a couple I've tried:
  • Cinnamon roll: 1 T cinnamon, 1 T splenda, 1/2 t vanilla extract. This is good with raisins or dried cranberries.
  • 1/4c blueberries, fresh or frozen
  • 1 T unsweetened cocoa, 1 T splenda.
  • I will soon be trying this with PB2.
  • Skip the sweeteners, add some salt, and use it as a pizza crust or other savory-type bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment