Monday, March 2, 2015

Basic Strength & Mass Program

With regard to the popular barbell programs that are out there like Starting Strength and Stronglifts, this is one of the things I have definitely changed on. Earlier, I would preach that low rep strength training was the end all be all of fitness, which I've come to realize is definitely not the case. Don't get me wrong though, these aren't bad programs. They do have their place. For an athlete looking to get stronger, they're great. And there is a beauty in their simplicity, that a beginner can do these programs with minimal guidance. However, for a person who wants to look better, I think they're lacking. So, I took what I liked about these programs, tweaked it, and combined it with something similar to the triumvirate accessory scheme from 5/3/1.

So, here is Mephysteaux's Basic Strength & Mass Program.

Workout A:
  • M1: 3x5 barbell squat
  • M2: 3x5 barbell bench press
  • M3: 3x5 barbell row
  • A1: 3x10 leg press
  • A2: 3x10 incline dumbbell bench press
  • A3: 3x10 one arm dumbbell row
  • Optional ab exercise
Workout B:
  • M1: 1x5 sumo deadlift
  • M2: 3xF chin up
  • M3: 3x5 barbell overhead press
  • A1: 5x3 sumo deadlift (with emphasis on speed/power)
  • A2: 3x10 lat pulldown
  • A3: 3x10 dumbbell overhead press
  • Optional ab exercise
The Structure
These two workouts should be alternated 3 days a week. So, week 1 is AxBxAxx, week 2 is BxAxBxx. Repeat as necessary.

Each workout has two groups of lifts: main (M) and accessory (A). Exercises that share numbers in the same workout are related in what muscles they work, and will also be related in the weights used for them.

Rest 2-3 minutes between sets on main lifts, 45-60 seconds for accessory lifts.

For each main lift, you'll determine a working weight. Your sets will go something like this:
  • Warmup
  • Set 1: 80% of working weight
  • Set 2: 90% of working weight
  • Set 3: Working weight
  • Then, when you do your accessory lift, use 50% of your working weight. The exception to this is leg press. I recommend leg pressing 1.5 times your working weight on squat.
If you successfully complete all your sets, then move your working weight up 5lbs next session. If you fail reps for 3 sessions in a row, take a 10% deload.

What changes I made, and why
  • Reduced the volume on squats from 3x/week to 1.5x/week. Once you get into heavier weights, squatting that much, and deadlifting on the same day, I think will rob your performance on deadlift.
  • Replaced traditional deadlift with sumo. For one, sumo better activates the glutes and hamstrings. The main reason, though, is safety. After injuring my back doing traditional deadlifts, I just won't do them anymore with anything approaching my max. Sumo makes it a lot easier to keep for back straight, which I think is especially important for a newer lifter who might not realize when his back is rounding. I know I was guilty of that.
  • Added chin ups in place of the missing squat. Barbell rows, in my opinion, are a good back exercise, but don't hit the lats and biceps as hard as the writers of these programs say.
  • Switched to a ramping weight progression. I personally have found that I can lift heavier weights if I ramp up to it, and don't have to sustain that weight for several sets.
  • Added the accessory lifts. I found my muscle development was a lot better when I did this, particularly in the chest which I don't think gets worked hard enough just with dumbbell bench press. I've also found that, with low rep lifting, you can easily fail reps with some energy left in the tank, adding the higher reps helps you expend some more effort without totally burning out.
  • Reduced the volume from 5 sets/exercise to 3. This is to account for the added accessories, both so you don't overload on volume, and so you don't have to spend forever in the gym.
Optional Changes 
  • Once a week (I typically did this on Fridays) replace one accessory lift with an isolation lift. Typically, I would swap incline bench press for machine fly, and lat pulldown for dumbbell curl. I personally think that legs, back, and triceps get hit hard enough as is, and don't really need any additional work.
  • The 5x3 deadlifts are meant to develop power off the ground. If you feel so inclined, they can be replaced with deficit deadlift or power clean.
  • Ab exercises: I never did these, and now that I'm lean enough to have some abs, I regret it. Right now I'm cycling between decline crunch, ab wheel rollout, and vertical leg raise as my main ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment